Friday, December 23, 2022

The Beauty of Dance, Part Nine: Dandara Veiga, Ballet Hispánico, New York, NY

Ballet Hispánico is a dance company in New York, and its title doesn't just refer to ballet from Spanish-speaking countries.  Dandara Veiga is a dancer from Portuguese-speaking Brazil.


Her dance studies took her from Brazil to Argentina, Italy, and Portugal, and in 2016 she came to the United States as an Alvin Ailey scholarship student at The Ailey School. 


In addition to dancing for Ballet Hispánico, which she joined in 2018, Ms. Veiga has participated in dance festivals around the world and has performed at various festivals.  

"Each performance gives me something special to remember," she says.  "My favorites were definitely the ones I had with my family, especially when my grandmother was in the audience. It has been five years since that has happened. I dream of being able to have them in the audience when things go back to normal. Just to think about it makes my heart jump."

No comments: