Wednesday, August 8, 2018

CNN newswoman Kaitlan Collins

Katilan Collins is a recent addition to CNN's on-camera news staff.  Before she joined the Cable News Network in 2017, she'd been an entertainment reporter and a White House correspondent at The Daily Caller for three years.


Why would I feature here a woman who once reported for a conservative news site?  Because of what she did at her current job.  When Donald Trump gave a statement to the press about trade negotiations while seated with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, Ms. Collins asked the current White House occupant about everything but that - Michael Cohen, secret tapes involving a possible cover-up, Vladimir Putin - and the White House responded by banning her from the premises . . . for doing what a reporter is supposed to do.   

I'm a freelance reporter when I'm not working on this blog or writing commentary on this blog's sister blog, Miscellaneous Musings.  So I'm doing here what every other reporter and news organization is doing - standing up for Kaitlin Collins.  And, lest you think this is purely political . . . well, aside from the fact that I am aware of Ms. Collins's conservative bona fides despite my own disagreement with political conservatism, I need only share with you what Bret Baier of Fox News - yes, Fox News - read in a statement on behalf of his employer in Ms. Collins's defense and against Trump:

"Just because the White House is uncomfortable with a question regarding the news of the day doesn't mean the question isn't relevant and shouldn't be asked. This decision to bar a member of the press is retaliatory in nature and not indicative of an open and free press. We demand better. As a member of the White House press pool, Fox stands firmly with CNN on this issue of access."

And so do I.

Free speech rocks.  That's why, despite whatever negative thoughts some people might have to a blog celebrating feminine beauty, I continue this blog without apology.  And that goes double for what I write my other blog.    

No comments: