Saturday, December 1, 2018

New Series: The Beauty of Dance, Part Seven!

I'm featuring a month's worth of beautiful dancers - twelve of them this time - for the seventh time on this blog, and, when it comes to finding new subjects, I feel lucky.

And why not?  Dance, be it ballet or modern, requires a lot of grace and strength, even as it's easily the most effeminate art form ever conceived.  So finding beautiful women in dance is like shooting fish in a barrel.

So why do I only feature dancers every other year?  It would obviously be too tempting to include dancers all the time, as there are so many of them, and then it wouldn't be special when I did feature them.  Dance it its best represents performing artistry in its most beautiful and precious form, and so featuring on this blog women in ballet or modern dance should honor that by being available only rarely, at an appropriately timed interval - which, I've concluded, is two years.

So why in December?  I don't remember why I chose the last month of the year, but it may have had something to do with the fact that ballet companies thought the United States always stage The Nutcracker for Christmas.  And people always go to dance recitals over the holidays, whether the dance is Christmas-related or not.  So December seems to make sense.

Right, enough of my yakking.  Let's get this new series started.  Back soon with the first subject!

Sugar plum fairy, sugar plum fairy . . . 

No comments: