Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Beauty of Retrospect, February Model Edition: Sheila Johnson

I could devote a whole blog to Sheila Johnson, because she has such a massive portfolio that I never seem to run out of pictures of her to show here.


She's done just about every possible assignment a model can do, from fashion magazines and Sunday news magazine supplements to department store catalogs and black-and-white newspaper ads.  

I put Sheila Johnson's work into two categories - good and great. There's no way to take a bad photo of her, whether she looks all businesslike in the photo above or seriously dignified in the Eric Boman picture below.  



Of course, she always looks more beautiful when she smiles.  In fact, I'm in heaven when . . . you know the drill.  



I last featured Ms. Johnson on this blog only recently, in September 2017, which indicates how seriously I take her modeling career as well as how enraptured I am by her beauty.  Because Sheila Johnson proved time and time again back in the eighties, at a time when modeling was becoming ever more diverse, that a black woman could project the all-American look commonly associated with whites of northern European descent.  And Ms. Johnson is very, and unmistakably, American in her look and her poise.

In fact, she originally comes from Plymouth County, Massachusetts - you know, where the Pilgrims settled?  You can't get any more American than that.


This is what American glamour looks like, people!

By the way, expect to see more of Sheila Johnson going forward, because my supply of pictures from her portfolio is nowhere near exhausted.  In fact, I'll soon be featuring the first picture I ever saw of her, the picture that began a life-long fascination with her. 

Oh yeah, here's another reason I keep featuring Sheila Johnson: My original post of her, from September 2009, is this blog's most viewed post featuring a model and the second most viewed post overall (after my original post of NBC newswoman Kristen Welker).  

 Sheila Johnson is loved by many. :-) 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Where is she now and what is she doing, it seems she dropped off the face of the earth?

Steve said...

She still lives in Massachusetts and is mostly retired from modeling. She's mostly led a private life since her modeling days.

Unknown said...

“Thank You for your follow-up information, very much appreciated...

Steve said...

You're welcome! :-)