Monday, February 19, 2018

The Beauty of Retrospect, February Model Edition: Iman by Robert Farber, 1977

How do I follow up all of the models I've revisited so far this month?

How about with this?


Are your knees wobbling yet?  Having trouble breathing, perhaps?   Yeah, me too . . . :-O

This intensely exquisite photo of Iman, whom I last featured here in January 2017, was taken by fashion photographer Robert Farber in 1977, and it is the most astonishing picture in her portfolio by a wide margin.  The intricate white lace veil that partially obscures her face - not enough to mask it, but enough to provide a sense of mystery - provides a stark contrast to her dark brown skin and her bare torso.  The black backdrop only adds to the mysterious mood, complementing Iman's own aura.  And I haven't even mentioned her dusky blue eye shadow or ruby lipstick . . ..

I almost melted when I first saw this picture.

Many a man who gazed upon this photo must have imagined gently lifting her veil in order to kiss her tenderly.  I'm sure David Bowie must have, too. :-) 

No comments: